Link to Website
We strongly encourage our children to travel actively to school as the benefits are many:
· Instils lifelong healthy habits - encourages pupils and families to swap the daily car ride for a daily stride and get some exercise.
· Reduces congestion outside the school gates with on average 30% fewer cars.
· Improves road safety at the school gates - thanks to the drop in car usage around the school.
· Promotes healthy mental wellbeing - improving behaviour and concentration levels in class.
· Family and friends time - it’s a great time for talking with your children and for the older children time to chat with their friends on the way to school.
· Independence – actively travelling builds healthy habits and road safety skills for life.
For families that live too far away to walk the whole way, or have onward travel to work, don’t forget that the Park & Stride site is the Crossbow Car Park, less than 10 minutes walk from school, alternatively park anywhere else in the 5 -10 minute zone around the school, look at the Active Travel Zone Map.
Children and families are challenged to actively travel to school – that’s walking, biking, scooting, or Park & Striding. Children simply record how they get to school on the online WOW Travel Tracker each day and those who walk, scoot, cycle or Park & Stride at least three times per week for the month are rewarded with a themed badge with a different badge each month.
Roads around schools have a surge of traffic concentrated at drop off and pick up times. This results in increased risks of collisions with vulnerable road users, unlawful parking, traffic jams, and air pollution.
We have implemented a School Streets scheme outside the school entrance to help reduce these issues and help with social distancing when dropping off or collecting your child.
If you do need to come by car please use the Active Travel Zone map or the Park & Stride sites to help reduce the number of cars around the School Street and help your children stay healthy and active by walking the rest of the way to school.