At FCCE we LOVE reading! By choosing exciting books, promoting book talk and having daily story time sessions, we aim to develop all children's love of reading. Children are exposed to a variety of authors from the past through to the present, promoting a range of genres within non-fiction and fiction texts.
At FCCE, we are passionate about reading. We want all of our children to develop a love and enjoyment of reading. We carefully teach the skills of reading through our school using Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Scheme. For more information, please follow this link. https://www.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk/resources/for-parents/
Every child will take place in four Guided Reading sessions per week. We teach whole class sessions, focussing on using the VIPERS reading skills. High-quality texts, often based on the topic being taught in each class, are chosen and read through as a class, as well as questions and thoughts about the text being discussed.
What are Vipers?
VIPERS is an acronym to aid the recall of the 6 reading domains as part of the UK’s reading curriculum. They are the key areas which we feel children need to know and understand in order to improve their comprehension of texts.
Reading at home & support
We ask that every child reads at home at least 5 times a week and that there is a note of this in their reading record. If your child is struggling to read at home try…
· Taking it in turns to read their story book (a sentence/ page each.)
· Mix up books with reading recipes, websites, magazines etc.
· Go to a bookshop/ library and help them choose books they are excited about.
· Help your child create a cosy reading area that they are excited to read in.
· Before reading the book, start by helping your child to engage in their book (e.g. if the
book is about dogs, start by chatting with your child about dogs, drawing a picture of a dog,
researching dogs online etc.)
· If you’re struggling to find some exciting books for your child either, click on the link (100 Read Books) or use the links below that will take you to excellent children’s books that have been shortlisted for prizes.
Links for home learning & enjoying books
https://www.thereaderteacher.com This is a great website for finding new and exciting books & authors.
https://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk You can read samples of books here & search by genre.